Subject: Re: Next Hackathon this weekend: getting ready to re-branch for 4.0
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Lasse =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/22/2006 11:38:36
Before anything, let me point out that I'm a NetBSD user, not a developer.

>As you have probably seen, we are going to re-cut the NetBSD 4.0 release
>branch soon. [1]

Actually I hadn't. And as a user I don't know how I could contribute to the
hackathon.

However, I did install 4.0BETA on my new Core2Duo machine some time ago, and
have had a few problems with it, which I have posted about now and then.

So I am a bit surprised by this. I installed 4.0BETA in the hope that it would
support my RealTek 8111B NIC (8168), I think I saw a change to some definitions
that indicated this. I have never dared to venture into current-land, thinking
that the bleeding edge is a bit too gory for my purposes, but I have used both 2.0BETA and 3.0BETA without any problems back in the day.

In any case, I am wondering: what would be the best way to stay informed of
events/developments such as the one leading to this rebranch of 4.0? I thought
current-users was just for bleeding edge, and the only mails in the archive
that seem to be about problems in 4.0BETA are about tmpfs, and seem to be
from after this decision on rebranching was made.

Is there a place to look for problems/summaries about the various releases,
BETAs, and current? If I use a BETA, where should I look for such info? Or
is it just discussed on closed releng lists? Should I search the bug base?

I think what I am asking in a roundabout way, is: is it just that I don't know
yet where to look, or could the releng process benefit from producing a
little more (or easier digestible) information for us adventurous wimps? I
suppose read-only access to releng-lists is too much to ask, on the other
hand, producing summaries would be more work on presumably already busy
developers.

I would like to stress that I am not criticizing the process in any way, I
am just interested in knowing how I can best stay informed when I use a BETA.

-Lasse