Subject: Re: Help setting up flux box, where to copy .xinitrc
To: Alasdair <alasdair@iprimus.com.au>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/16/2006 20:05:10
> Hi,
> I am a new user to NetBSD.
>
> I am trying to set up Fluxbox to use as my window manager. However so far
> haven't had much success. It installed ok, however when starting X with
> the
> command "startx" the window manager still appears to be twm.
>
> I edited my .xinitrc as suggested in the NetBSD guide
>
> section 8.9 Other Window Managers
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-x.html#chap-x-customizing
>
> So from the line
> # start some nice programs
>
> my .xinitrc file looks like this
>
> start fluxbox &
> xclock -geometry 50x50 -1 - 1 &
> xterm -geometry 80x34 - 1 + 1
>
> My .xinitrc is found in:
>
>   /etc/X11/xinit/.xinitrc
>
> As opposed to the path noted in the manual:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.xinitrc
>
> Does this make a difference?
>
> At this point I should note that  I have not copied .xinitrc to $HOME  as
> recommended by the NetBSD manual. Don't laugh but I am a little confused
> where to copy it! As I understand it the default $HOME directory is /root
> .
> I take it this is the "home directory" also described as ~/ that
> the  Fluxbox documentation also refers to
> http://www.fluxbox.org/docbook/en/html/c96.html ?
>
> Or should I create the directory "home" and then home/"username"  then
> copy
> .xinitrc to the directory "username"?
>
> I imagine that should need I create these directories I will need to
> append
> them to my $PATH.
>
> I have created a user account as described in
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-2boot.html#chap-2boot-adding-users
>
> All the stuff that I have done here was done while logged in as root
>
> I think that clarifying where my "home " directory should be, and what it
> should be called will solve a lot of my problems. I know this stuff should
> be a no-brainer for any *nix user, but for some reason I am finding it
> difficult to get information on how the directory tree should look.
>
> Some info on versions and system
>
> NetBSD 3.0.1
>
> Architechture 386
>
> Ok laugh all you like, call me an idiot, I don't care, but any help would
> be most appreciated.
>
> Alasdair

Hello Alasdair!

I'm assuming you have installed X and its components and configured it
properly including fluxbox. For testing purposes try these simple steps:

1) create a file named ".xinitrc" in your home directory. Then place a line
"exec fluxbox". (both without quotes)
2) Then make it readable, say 644. Please make sure youre the owner of the
file.
3) Issue "startx".

If all goes well make your necessary changes and customizations to suit
your needs.

HTH,

Joseph