Subject: MAX_KMAPENT?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Gorsuch <michael.gorsuch@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/15/2006 11:46:50
Hello everyone.  I ran into a Kernel Panic last night on one of my machines,
and am curious as to what may have caused this:

The message on the console was:

panic: uvm_mapent_alloc: out of static map entries, check MAX_KMAPENT
(currently 1114)
Stoppped in pid 15.1 (pagedaemon) at netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4

The kernel is NetBSD 2.0.1 on i386.

First off, I'm trying to understand exactly what MAX_KMAPENT is. Secondly I
am curious as to how I may work to prevent this issue in the future.

The system in particular handles many busy tasks such as SMTP and Squid.  I
am assuming one of these must have used more resources than normal.

Thanks for any insight,

Michael Gorsuch