Subject: Re: Ethernet Configuration (was: "X configuration problem")
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/15/2006 10:27:12
On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 08:47:22AM +0530, arnuld wrote:
>> I had also the same problem when installing NetBSD. Pings took too
>> long to respond and sometimes they worked and others didn't. As I
>> think you've been told already, this is a DNS resolution timeout or
>> something related.
>>
>> All of this problems where gone for me when I run named, the daemon
>> for name-resolution.
>>
>> /usr/sbin/named
>
> OK  will check the manpage for "named" to see how it can be turned ON.

That info won't be in the manpage, but might be in the NetBSD Guide, not sure.

Edit /etc/rc.conf and add a line like:

named=yes

And run "/etc/rc.d/named start" to start it properly.

You would then put "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in /etc/resolv.conf to make
your box use itself as the nameserver.  If you have a valid nameserver
from your ISP, this is not really needed, unless you're like me and run
a private domain (which is bogus on the Internet) for your home network.
This requires understanding how DNS works and BIND configuration.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org