Subject: Re: INEXPENSIVE way to get reverse DNS records
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/14/2006 11:48:32
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 04:58:22PM -0800, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> less than a /24 subnet (aka a "class-C" netblock).  Still, most ISPs
> will set up a static PTR record for clients who are paying for a
> static IP; typically the pricing for this runs anywhere from $2 to $6
> per month per IP.  $25 per month is outrageous; but if you aren't
> willing to change ISPs, either you pay for the service and get

Okay, trying again to get them to "set up a static PTR record"  seems
to be my best (if not only) option.  Thanks for giving me the correct
wording for what I want to ask for.  It may help.

However, the real problem here in Japan is that businesses in general
only sell "package deals"; you can't get them to "sell you just the part
you need".  (Oh, I'm MORE than "willing to change ISPs", but they are
the only ISP that connects with light fiber in this area, the one cable
ISP in this area is prohibitively expensive to get a fixed IP from, and
the only other option is ADSL, which isn't any good since it destroys our
fax machine and none of the ADSL ISPs in this area offer static IPs anyway.)

> reverse DNS as you wish, or you don't, and live without.

Thanks for clarifying this.  Also many thanks to Herb Peyerl for his
precise explanation.

Maybe we should close the thread.  I appreciate everyone's patience
as I work through this and learn to bite the bullet.

> You might want to contact your Regional Internet Registry (presumably
> APNIC.net?) about this ISP and complain about the situation.

lol  (Not for the advice, but because of the utter hopelessness.)

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/