Subject: Re: Fw: Re: GTK inconsistency
To: NetBSD Users's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/13/2006 14:24:13
At Mon, 13 Nov 2006 05:06:12 -0600,
Przemys=B3aw Pawe=B3czyk wrote:
>=20
> > I badly need gtk:
> > gtk+, gtk2
> > themes collections
> > gtk-engines, gtk2-engines (gtk-engines2)
> > gtk-theme-switch,gtk2-theme-switch
> >
> > NetBSD offers Nedit (gtk+) and Sylpheed (gtk2). But there's no
> > cohesive "politics" concerning the library subject on NetBSD side.

I just wish I could build GTK2, (i.e. cairo) without using MesaLib.

GTK2 in all its wonder is far too bloated for anyone's good.  Building
ethereal and all its requirements on my SS20 took several days (and many
hours longer than necessary because of this stilly OpenGL requirement),
all for an application that does nothing more than present simple text
on the screen.

Maybe if cairo didn't use glitz.... (how can a gazillion lines of extra
code and bulk have anything whatsoever to do with "accelleration"?  :-))

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>