Subject: "X windows" configuration
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: arnuld <arnuld3@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/13/2006 08:53:08
hai all,

this is my very 1st post after i tried my hands on a NetBSD 3.1
installation (i386 CD-ROM)  last night :-). of course i read NetBSD
guide but that did not help at many places. i will be brief in
exlaining my problem:

NetBSD is installed  i can boot into int. "Xorgconfig" works fine.
drivers for my video card are present & "startx" gives me "twm"
screen. then i wanted to install a Window Manager & there i got into
the trouble:

1.) i wanted to install "windowmaker" & NetBSD-guide Section (in short
NGS) 8.8 says:

$ cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc $HOME/.xinitrc
$ vi $HOME/.xinitrc

there is not "xinit" directory in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11".

then in NGS 8.9 it says:

# cd /usr/pkgsrc/x11/windowmaker
# make depends-list

there si no directory named "pkgsrc" in "/usr" directory. so i can not
download "windowmaker".

BTW, how i am supposed to download  "windowmaker" when my "ethernet
card" is not configured?

my box is still running on Black Screen but i like NetBSD & i want to
use it as a software developer's OS :-)

-- arnuld
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/