Subject: Re: docbook editor?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/09/2006 08:25:27
Hello!

"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
> I am looking for a lightweight Docbook editor where I can highlight
> content and choose different styles, attributes, etc.
>
> I don't need to view the tags as I work (but is okay if I do) and I don't
> need WYSIWYG. And I don't want to use any java-based editor or openoffice.
>
> Also it would be nice if the editor interface can generate PDF and/or
> LaTeX.
>
> I have tried conglomerate before but it looks like its development is
> stalled. (Last time I used it, I couldn't get its interface to generate my
> docs.)
>
> I am a long-time LyX user -- if you know how to get LyX to work with
> DocBook please let me know.

Googling for 'lyx docbook' immediately resulted in two links to
step-by-step guides:

	http://www.teledyn.com/help/XML/lyx2db/t1.html
	http://bgu.chez-alice.fr/doc/db4lyx/

> I had been doing a lot of work with book in LyX but also simultaneously
> doing same work on same book in DocBook in vi -- doing the work twice is a
> waste of my time. I might just use DocBook in vi and forget about LyX for
> this project, but I like using LyX as it is usually a great time saver.

Let me ask, why you have choosed DocBook over LyX/TeX? Is this an
external requirement or was this your choose?

> What do you all use for docbook editing?

I've also heard good opinions on emacs sgml mode.

My own choice is vi (with local maps) and XXE (which is Java and
thus heavyweight). Vex can compete to XXE as well.

--
Mishka.