Subject: Re: Hardware Console Redirection
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/31/2006 20:54:59
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 06:18:22PM -0500, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> I have noticed that the "Phoenix BIOS" console redirection feature on both
> discontinues to operate once the kernel has booted (however, the 1st/2nd
> stage boot loaders work fine).

Of course; it is a BIOS feature, and NetBSD does not use the BIOS for
console I/O.  You'll have trouble finding anything but DOS that does.

> I'm trying to avoid having to use a combination of both hardware and
> software console redirection.

Honestly, that seems silly.  You can easily enough configure NetBSD to
provide you a getty both on the graphical console (if present) and the
serial port (if present) regardless of which one the bootblocks are
configured to use as the system console.  But it doesn't really matter;
what the Weasel did will no longer work (because modern BIOSes, and, in
particular, add-in card option ROMs, use VGA graphics mode to paint text
on the screen) and the BIOS redirection of I/O to the serial port, of
course, only works if your operating system drops to 16-bit mode and
calls the BIOS for all I/O, which is not really something NetBSD can do.

So I am afraid you're stuck with the serial console support provided
by the bootblocks for now.  Sorry...

Thor