Subject: Re: How-tos (Re: querying the console type?)
To: Charles L. Nelson <charles@embsyspro.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/21/2006 13:44:39
On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 10:36:14AM -0700, Charles L. Nelson wrote:

> I'm new to "nix's and *BSD's, yet I have chosen NetBSD as the core of a
> project that I'm working on.  After coming from the land of WinCE where
> there is copious information for developers at "ALL" skill levels, I find it
> rather disconcerting that some of the recent NetBSD message traffic has an
> tone of arrogance to it.

If you're talking about me, it is very, very hard for me to see why my
stating what I clearly pointed out -- repeatedly -- is just my own
opinion about how one best learns certain types of technical material
is indicative of "arrogance".

> While I can understand the frustration that some might feel about newbie's,

If you are attributing "frustration about newbie's" to me, you do so
wrongly.  I do, on the other hand, have a great deal of frustration about
bad documentation that holds people back while leading them to believe
that they're being led forward.  If, when people ask for "HowTos", they
are suggesting that we should create documentation like many Linux HowTo
files -- which, for me, are among the principal examples of that kind of
bad documentation -- I think those suggestions are not very good ones.

Thor