Subject: Stupid web browsers (was: recording .ram file to mp3)
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus200610@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/17/2006 02:36:23
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> I don't understand why firefox doesn't have a way to easily intercept
> the audio/video inline URLS and dispatch then to an external handler.

   I was thinking along the same lines a day or two ago.  Surely web
browsers exist for the users and nobody else?  But still most people seem
to think the web is some big TV network, and should stay that way.

   Perhaps Greasemonkey and User Javascript will change that, we'll see.

   But ideally some sort of Web interface, and HTML parser, should be a
component of the operating system, and possible to interface through all
the regular operating system components.  (Think grepping through tables
in a cron job, piping it to "awk '{ print $COLUMN }'", and that sort of
thing.)

   I'm not holding my breath for that to happen in any BSD, and I'm not
even sure it would be a good fit to the mostly text-only environment.  (But
I want my flying car now, dammit.)

MAgnus