Subject: Re: Can we mount the 5th Generation Ipod?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/30/2006 11:38:58
"Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:32:16 -0400, "Steven M. Bellovin"
> <smb@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
>

> > The Rockbox page did mention something else that might be worth trying:
> > boot the device into "disk mode", via the instructions at
> > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651 and see what
> > happens.  I don't know, frankly, what the difference should be for "disk
> > mode" versus regular mode on NetBSD.
> >
> I tried "disk mode" on my Nano.  Here's the dmesg in regular mode:
>
> umass0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
> umass0: Apple iPod, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
> sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Apple, iPod, 1.62> disk removable
> sd0(umass0:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
>      ASC/ASCQ:  Logical Unit Is in Process Of Becoming Ready
>
> sd0: drive offline
> sd0: fabricating a geometry

sorry Steve, i didn't mean i was confused with mine.
i meant i was confused with what 'you' said.

see above

your normal mode doesn't show a geom at all. ??
let alone a false one.
indicating problem.  surprising.

see below

your disk mode shows a geom??
indicating success.

anyhow i tried disk mode and it was the same result for me.
ie doesn't work.
except that after it the whole machine froze.
couldn't even ping it from elsewhere.

chs,
Paul.

> and here's the dmesg in disk mode:
>
> umass0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
> umass0: Apple iPod, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
> sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Apple, iPod, 1.62> disk removable
> sd0: fabricating a geometry
> sd0: 3906 MB, 3906 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 7999488 sectors
> sd0: fabricating a geometry
>
> I have no idea what difference is being presented to the system by the two
> different modes; however, the disk mode version gives the same geometry
> message as the people experiencing failures have reported coming out on
> connection.

Paul
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology

"In a world without walls and fences,