Subject: Re: anyone want to help teach online class on NetBSD
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Danny Lau <liudengcs@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/20/2006 09:11:37
Hi,

First of all, it is a great idea. I am on your side.

I'm a NetBSD fan from China. In China mainland, seldom people interested in
hacking NetBSD system compared with Linux(even with FreeBSD). I think the
roadblock prevent people from enrolling in NetBSD is the lack of documents
on system hacking and the whole framework modeling. All documents I can get
are from http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/, some papers from USENIX
written by NetBSD hackers and some unoffical articles written by other
NetBSD fans(most of the papers and atricles are come from google), and
online manual-page section 9. The classic book, <4.4BSD design and
implementation>, also can't catch up with the the modern NetBSD evolutions
like SA, LKM, LWP, etc. The <NetBSD internals> from NetBSD offical website
is incomplete now. And the maillist seems more suitable for discussing
rather than study. Besides that classic book, most of the documents focuing
on a specific topic that can not help newbies like me to comprehending
the overall system design, implementation and the framework.

So, for the reasons mentioned above, I strongly hope somebody could light
the way for newbies to the kernel road. The online class Jeremy proposed is
what I want if it can introduce more people to the mysterious kernel world
more systemically. And a wish, if possible, have a document which to NetBSD
is like as the <Understanding Linux Kernel> to Linux even if that document
not as elaborated as ULK.

Now, althought I'm not a NetBSD guru and I actually study NetBSD just about
1 year, I have wrote some articles based on my own study experience to
help people from China who interested in NetBSD hacking more easily.(URL *in
chinese*
http://search.chinaunix.net/cgi-bin/search?mode=all_author&u=192271&key=gvim&forum_num=-1
 )

BTW, if there has other valuable documents, books or online pages, artcles,
please let me know. Thanks

--
-dan