Subject: newbee questions on fdisk/boot
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: J.D. Bronson <jbronson@wixb.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/14/2006 07:04:47
I know I posted a similar question here last month but I am still
missing something and need some assistance (please)...

I have a complete 3.0.1 install and its working fine (i386). No issues!
This install is 100% netbsd. It does not share any fdisk or boot with
any other OS. Just Netbsd.

I have a larger hard drive (current 60gb - new 120GB) and want to
*simply* migrate over to the new drive. I have done this under
freebsd and openbsd and never had any issues. However under netbsd, I
end up with constant boot issues...
I am very surprised that there does not appear a section on the
netbsd pages outlining steps on how to do this? I am sure I am not
the 1st idiot to attempt this and have issues...

I will list what I am doing and perhaps someone here can spot what I
am missing or why things are not working:

1. fdisk -u wd2 -> create partition 1 for netbsd.
2. fdisk -a wd2 -> make partition 1 the active partition
3. disklabel wd2 -> slice and dice drive up
4. newfs each partition
5. mount each partition such as /mnta /mnte/ /mntf and so on
6. dump -0f - / | ( cd /mnta ; restore xf - ) for each partition
7. verify each old slice matches the new slice via rsync.
8. umount all of the temp mount points
9. run installboot such as:

installboot -v -o timeout=5 /dev/rwd1d /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
(I also tried this to no avail):
installboot -v -o timeout=5 /dev/rwd1a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

Then shut down. Attempt to boot off of the new drive.
I get an error message saying it cant find '/boot'.

I then tried using fdisk to setup a bootselector with a time out of 5
seconds and that allowed me to finally boot. But it gave a prompt
while the 5 seconds was timing out...and the original disk does not
have anything like this.

Does anyone have any idea what I am still missing?

Failing this, my next idea was to do a small install on the new drive
to set things up and then rsync my original install to the new drive,
but that shouldnt need to be done...

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

--
J.D. Bronson