Subject: Re: Quota, Softdeps, and Raid - and the Quality of NetBSD Releases
To: Lasse Kliemann <lasse-list-netbsd-users-2006@plastictree.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/10/2006 22:20:52
On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 01:29:03PM +0200, Lasse Kliemann wrote:
> Well,
>
> as some of you might have noticed already, I ran into serious
> trouble using all these three together on one of my machines.
> The issue is known as kern/33642. So far, this problem seems
> to have received little attention. As I already lined out in
> an additional post to netbsd-bugs last week, this problem has
> not gone away since RC1 for 3.1. It is still there, and it can
> lead to serious damage of the system (loss of /etc/passwd). I
> write to this high-traffic list now in the hope to receive
> answers to the following questions:
>
> - Is anyone using quotas, softdeps, and raid at the same time
>   on some machine, and what are the experiences?

I have quota+raid without problems, and I can't see how raid could affects
this. Also, I have the quota files in /var/quota and not on the
quota-enbabled filesystems, maybe this is what causes troubles

I would try:
turning off softdep on /var
putting the quota files in /var

also make sure nothing writes to the filesystems with quota enabled while
quotacheck is running. I once tried enabling the NFS server before
quotacheck and got a similar panic.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>