Subject: Re: handheld/palmtop computer recommendations
To: None <erik@plastic-idolatry.com, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/07/2006 06:06:13
On 9/6/06, Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering which small handheld computers are well-supported under
> NetBSD currently? There are a ton of ports out there right now and I'm
> not totally sure which ones are more active (or which devices are still
> being made/sold).

I actually want to know the same thing, although my specific question
is for a "classic" style PDA.

I have a NEC Mobilepro 880, which is a pretty nice little machine.
It's a little large to be considered a PDA, but it does have
functioning USB which is a major plus for me. I have a Mobilepro 790
on the way which should be fun too, but more limited because it
doesn't have USB. And as far as I can tell, there are no 16 bit PCMCIA
usb adapters out there. The 790 is quite a bit smaller than the 880.
Check the hpcmips page for other supported models.

I'd like to get a fairly full function PDA with USB and with the
ability to plug in a small travel keyboard. This is basically so I can
fix other machines through a USB serial device, or use it as a netboot
server or something.

Andy