Subject: Re: Getting the good bits into NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/05/2006 01:25:48
thus Dieter spake:
>> (NetBSD developers not committing code to fix bugs in
>> NetBSD's tree but fixing them in Wasabi's).
>
> This is exactly the type of thing that the GPL prohibits.

yes, but the price is high.

> And one of the few things that Linux gets right that BSD
> gets wrong.  This is a major reason why Linux gets so
> much more corporate support than BSD.  Company A can
> contribute things to Linux without worrying about Company B
> taking them, adding Company B's ideas and selling binaries,
> but not sharing the source for Company B's ideas with Company A.

but that's not the problem here. that is what makes this issue
extra-salty. it is about a company influencing a foundation.

> This also hurts BSD because BSD cannot use any source from Linux.

i'd rather say it saves BSD. but this gets off topic too far. please
let's focus on the problem here and not bring linux into the game...

> So we have this situation where everyone else can take things
> from BSD, but only rarely does anyone give anything back.

this horse was beaten to death already.

> And then people wonder why BSD doesn't have any features.

[i wonder which features that linux might have (another question than
is, do they function well? do they function at a certain stability?
etc.) that BSD does not have. ISA TV card support in a server OS?]

> Solution: Add the GPL to BSD.

no.

as already said, the problem is a different one. certainly it's also
about the license, but mainly it's about morale. the important question
is how deeply did corruption spread.

(corruption is a hard word, but every other description of the problem
TNF/TNP faces would have been an euphemism.)

--
Timo Schoeler | http://riscworks.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@riscworks.net
RISCworks -- Perfection is a powerful message

Frankie says: Relax