Subject: Re: History of the NetBSD Foundation
To: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@spam.quake.ca>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@MIT.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/02/2006 04:02:31
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 05:34:22PM -0700, Marc Tooley wrote:
> Questions that my more gossip-y self is now very curious about, and
> which I present only in utmost respect:

Most of your questions are utterly bizarre, and imply things that are
ridiculous.  I'm not going to bother replying to them.  However, I will
share something about the relationship with Wasabi that I remembered,
because it's particularly noteworthy.

I think it was the 1.5 release that was actually held up by Wasabi.  Of
course they wouldn't tell me (or anyone else, AFAIK) what was going on,
and many of us were wondering where the Hell the release was.  The code
was frozen, the executables built, etc.  After more than a week of this,
I finally got fed up with it, and with the help of some of our WWW
folks, spent an entire night writing up a release announcement and
pushing the release out.

We were only told after the fact that this was because Wasabi and the
NetBSD Foundation were planning to do a joint press release, and it
wasn't ready yet.  According to the Wayback Machine, I was still the
president of the Foundation at the time, and I hadn't heard a damned
thing about it.  AFAIK, the only people who knew about this were either
working for Wasabi or on Wasabi's board.

I'm not going to editorialize much on this.  I leave you to draw your
own conclusions.