Subject: Re: [Semi-OT] Sharing files with Windows
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/27/2006 12:43:51
On 8/27/06, Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I think he wants to access the XP box from his NetBSD box, not the other
> >> way around.
>
>    Correct.
>
> > The first sentence in the post is:

> > Unfortunately this means either that he wants to access files residing
> > ON the NetBSD system FROM the XP laptop, or he wants to access files
> > FROM his XP laptop - i.e. residing on it - while working ON his NetBSD
> > system... Take your pick. The discussion goes both ways.
>
>    Yes, I realized my mistake when I received the first replies. I want
> to access files ON my NetBSD system FROM my XP system. i.e. XP runs an
> NFS client, and NetBSD runs an NFS server.
>
>    (To my defence, I had a fever when I wrote that mail). :-)

You don't necessarily have to have fever - it's just the language ...

>    But I have decided to try the synchronization route which was
> suggested to me, since it accomplishes what I actually wanted from the
> beginning -- having two identical copies of the same set of files.

That would be my next test. It makes sense - I use some 7-8 Unix
server/workstations and another 2-3 Windows servers; just recently I
got (at least temporarily) a laptop with W/XP and my personal files
are all over the place. (The one problem I haven't decided upon yet is
what to do with the XP laptop - which runs NetBSD-current 90% of the
time - in terms of sharing /synchronization with the XP setup and the
rest; I guess I could increase the currently shared 600MB Fat32
partition and use it as home (sub) folder in both, but it gets messy.

> [---]
> > TrueGrid NFS is also single-threaded, but in practice we have been
> > able to use it for light sharing - even in production environments
> > (well, a few DOS PCs running PC-NFS access a Windows "server" to fetch
> > NC programs etc.). Next time will try with Cygwin. Microsoft SFU is
> > more of a trouble to setup,  but you get the NFS client.
>
>    Where can you get SFU which runs on plain XP? I found a knowledgebase
> article which stated that a Server-edition is required to run the
> NFS-stuff, IIRC.

I haven't seen that KB article, but I just installed SFU on the same
laptop under XP *Professional* - it does *not* run under XP Home. I
also thought that the NFS server does not run on XP/PRo, but I was
wrong - it does, it just does not get installed by default. Get it
from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=896c9688-601b-44f1-81a4-02878ff11778&DisplayLang=en

(You will need login account now - a Hotmail one is enough).

The NFS Server functionality gets removed from Vista AFAIK; the client
stays; the NFS server will be available only under the next version of
the Windows Server OS (Longhorn or something).

BTW I didn't install SFU on this laptop just to confirm the above; I
meant to start doing some pkgsrc work under SFU for some time - this
was just a good kick to eventually do it.

> --
> Kind Regards,
> Jan Danielsson
> Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

CI