Subject: Re: [Semi-OT] Sharing files with Windows
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/25/2006 14:43:08
On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 07:51:29PM +0100, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> On 8/25/06, Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>>   I want to access files on my NetBSD system from my XP laptop.
>
> Put WinSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/index.php) on your XP box enable
> sshd on the NetBSD box. If you need any more tips how to configure the
> keys, just yell.

I think he wants to access the XP box from his NetBSD box, not the other
way around.

OP: you could install sshd on the XP box.

<snip>

>>   Does anyone know of any good options?
>>
>>   I thought NFS was the way to go, but upon reading up on it, AFAICT,
>> NFS won't run over SSH-initiated tunnels. And there doesn't seem to be
>> any free NFS clients for Windows.
>
> Not true - Microsoft Services for Unix works on XP and is free:

As is cygwin, which would give you ssh/sshd and/or server side NFS.

The caveat with cygwin's nfs is it is single-threaded, so, I wouldn't
put it on a server and bang on it heavily, but for file sharing with a
*nix box, it will probably handle things fine.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org