Subject: Re: [Semi-OT] Sharing files with Windows
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/25/2006 19:51:29
On 8/25/06, Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    I want to access files on my NetBSD system from my XP laptop.

Put WinSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/index.php) on your XP box enable
sshd on the NetBSD box. If you need any more tips how to configure the
keys, just yell.

>    I know there's the option to enable "File and Printer sharing" in XP,
> and run SMB on NetBSD, but I don't want to do that (read: I won't).

You don't need to enable "File and printer sharing" on the XP box to
be able to mount an SMB share.

You can still install and configure Samba on the NetBSD box and
configure it to accept connections only from your Windows machine.

> On
> the university network I'm on, I can see how much Windows spews out on
> the network by monitoring my firewall, and I don't want to subject
> others to that.

I don't think this is an argument. You can make it as secure as it
needs to be. Consider PF on NetBSD (I have never used IPfilter myself
to give any advice here).

>  Another reason is that I want to run over an encrypted
> connection.
>
>    Does anyone know of any good options?
>
>    I thought NFS was the way to go, but upon reading up on it, AFAICT,
> NFS won't run over SSH-initiated tunnels. And there doesn't seem to be
> any free NFS clients for Windows.

Not true - Microsoft Services for Unix works on XP and is free:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 2000 Service Pack
3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

(it is not being actively developped any more unfortunately, as the
forthcoming Vista thing will have (part of) it built in).

>    I should point out that I'm currently moving files with pscp; but I
> want to mount a directory on my NetBSD system on my Windows system.

Well, either Samba on he NetBSD box or NFS client on the Windows machine.

If you want the opposite, quick and dirty solution might be to install
NFS server on the Windows box - TrueGRID comes to mind - google for it
- but I wouldn't give any advice as to how secure it is - we have been
using it for years in environments not sensitive to that sort of
considerations.

>    Any tips?
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Jan Danielsson
> Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Sapienti sat.

Chavdar.