Subject: Re: Logical Volume Management for NetBSD
To: haad <haaaad@gmail.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/16/2006 15:15:09
On Jan 6,  7:16am, haad wrote:
} John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Jan 6,  6:49am, didier gaumet wrote:
} > }
} > } I'm not well informed about logical volume management (never practiced it
} > } myself), but I have heard about ccd and ccdconfig : you might take a look
} > } at their man page.
} >
} >      ccd is not a true LVM.  It simply allows you to combine multiple
} > partitions into one.  It is primarily useful on older systems that can
} > only take smaller disks.  There isn't as much use for it on systems
} > with modern disks.
} >
} >      Unfortunately, there is no LVM in NetBSD at the present time.
}
} Can we upgrade ccd to full  functional LVM system,or we need to write it
} from scratch?

     Probably need to write it from scratch.  It may need changes to
the disk drivers (i.e. the concept of partitions goes out the window),
and will require an intermediate layer between the filesystems to map
logical volumes to physical disk space.  To do it properly will also
require filesystem changes to enable resizing on the fly.  If you've
ever used a real LVM, you will know that it is a pretty complex beast.

}-- End of excerpt from haad