Subject: Re: Logical Volume Management for NetBSD
To: didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@libertysurf.fr>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/16/2006 03:21:09
On Jan 6,  6:49am, didier gaumet wrote:
} Le Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:26:27 -0400, Louis Guillaume a écrit :
}
} > I'm used to AIX's Logical Volume Management system, which is, in my
} > opinion, extremely cool. It's there in Linux these days too and I really
} > wish we had something like this (if not the thing itself) in NetBSD.
} >
} > Recently I saw a message saying that vinum was removed from NetBSD. It
} > appeared to be the closest thing, but supposedly never worked properly.
}
} Vinum seems to have been removed (temporarily?) from "base" of
} netbsd-current and future netbsd 4.X but is still available in netbsd 3.x

     It is permanently gone from all future releases.  It was
unmaintained and had a number of problems.  Besides, it wasn't a true
LVM.  It really didn't offer anything more then Raidframe.

} > Also recently, I saw a message about a `device-mapper' driver for
} > NetBSD. But I can't find any significant information about this either.
} >
} > Is there anything like this planned or available for NetBSD?
}
} I'm not well informed about logical volume management (never practiced it
} myself), but I have heard about ccd and ccdconfig : you might take a look
} at their man page.

     ccd is not a true LVM.  It simply allows you to combine multiple
partitions into one.  It is primarily useful on older systems that can
only take smaller disks.  There isn't as much use for it on systems
with modern disks.

     Unfortunately, there is no LVM in NetBSD at the present time.

}-- End of excerpt from didier gaumet