Subject: Partitions
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/09/2006 21:57:45
Hello,

At some point in the future, I hope to buy a mainboard with a
supported hardware RAID controller.  In the mean time, to get started
I'm thinking of adding a (matched) pair of hard disk drives to an
existing host, putting (unmirrored) /, swap and /usr partitions on the
disks and then using using something like raidframe to make a mirror
from two large partitions (one on each drive) that are the same size.
Is it sensible to put / and /usr on one disk and swap on the other?
Should I consider a third disk to keep swap away from the mirror?
Hints, observations and suggestions are invited.

Thanks,
  - Andy Ball