Subject: TCP checksum not good enough?
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/02/2006 13:20:38
Hello all. This may come across as a troll type post, but I don't mean
it to be. Nor am I trying to stir anything up.

I came across a problem at work today that I've never seen before, but
apparently it exists because I searched on it and I got some rather
disturbing hits.

A very large database was being backed up over a TCP/IP network, and
the restore of it to a test system would often be corrupt. This
prompted some very heated conversations, let's say.

The backup application involved had a checksumming feature on the
payload of the data, and when this was turned on an error was found.

Which means this data passed through whatever hardware checking was
done (not known to me exactly what, if any, there is) AND TCP
checksumming.

Is this type of thing common? When I ftp my multiple gigabyte, gzipped
dumps of my NetBSD machine across the TCP/IP network to another
machine where I store them, should I expect that randomly this stuff
is going to be corrupt?

Thanks,
Andy