Subject: Re: explaining TOP memory output
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/14/2006 08:15:53
Michael Parson wrote:
> The fact that you have a high-ish load, with an idle CPU is what
> concerns me.  You have something that is causing your load queue length
> to be artificially high.

Interesting, because my system always hovers around a load average of
1.00, with 100% idle CPU. I was just blaming it on the amount of
processes I had running, but maybe it's not this after all?

NetBSD 3.0.1, but was the same with 3.0.0

---
load averages:  0.94,  0.84,  0.89
08:12:07
99 processes:  1 runnable, 97 sleeping, 1 on processor
CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100%
idle
Memory: 102M Act, 54M Inact, 1844K Wired, 20M Exec, 67M File, 6132K Free
Swap: 1024M Total, 44M Used, 980M Free
---

It's actually quite rare to see it < 1.00. It doesn't seem to really be
causing any problems, but I am not running X. If it's worth looking in
to then I can post any info needed?

--
Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>