Subject: Re: Various disk errors just showed up in dmesg :(
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/28/2006 23:52:18
Mark Cullen wrote:
> Andy Ruhl wrote:
>
>> On 6/28/06, Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this most likely just the cable? That last error looks quite
>>> worrying... I do believe that I have another disk attached on the same
>>> cable as that drive though, so I would have thought I would also be
>>> seeing errors on wd0. Hmm....
>>

>> Cable, wonky controller bios, memory, any number of things. Cold boot
>> it and see if it continues.
>>
>> I had this problem when I added a network card. I assume this is
>> likely PC hardware, which is often junk. No offense, it's just the
>> case. I have to deal with it too.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Ok, I've just seen something quite disturbing :)
>
> Recall the SMART status from before:
>
>  12 100   20     no  online  positive    Device power cycle count       66
>
> this is now
>
>  12 100   20     no  online  positive    Device power cycle count       83
>
> NetBSD 'resetting the device' (I have no idea if it is or not), wouldn't
> cause this would it? I think I am off to check the power plug isn't
> loose or something!!

Well that appears to be it. I literally just touched the plug (I know I
know, it was still on... but I can't really tell if it's the power plug
while it's off!) and I heard the hard disk make a funny high pitched
noise. The "Device power cycle count" went up to 84, and I got one of
those odd errors pop up in dmesg (without the dd running).

So glad NetBSD has SMART support! Sorry for the noise, and at the same
time thanks for the support (in general, this list has been a very
helpful place for me) :-)

Cheers!