Subject: Re: wireless internet and NetBSD?
To: Brad du Plessis <bradd@cat.co.za>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/27/2006 09:39:43
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Brad du Plessis wrote:

> If you're interested in a GPRS/EDGE solution I use a USB Falcom Samba 75
> for internet and it works well most of the time. GPRS is not
> particularly fast, in real world usage you'll get 30-40 Kbps. EDGE is a
> bit better (up to 128 Kbps in practice) but is less widely supported in
> general.

Thanks, Brad, for the note.

I see that my current cell phone provider, T-Mobile, offers it. It looks
like that is what my Sidekick II uses -- it is slow and not very reliable
enough for me (at least on the Sidekick II itself).

The card they suggest is Sony Ericsson GC89 PC Card. I am not sure if
supported by NetBSD, but it looks like it is supported by OpenBSD-current
and FreeBSD.

It also looks like Cingular also provides this GPRS/EDGE in the United
States. I don't know what the required "Cingular Wireless PC Card" is
though.

It appears that the EVDO service from Verizon is faster and has more
coverage area, but I don't know from experience. (And I don't want to buy
two different cards and two different service plans :)

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'