Subject: Re: PowerBook 12" support?
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/27/2006 11:30:19
Am 27.06.2006 um 15:14 Uhr +1000 schrieb Malcolm Herbert:
>I'm looking at purchasing a second hand PPC-based Ti PowerBook 12" and
>was wanting to run NetBSD on it full time ... how good is support for
>the hardware that comes with these devices?

You may be better off asking that kind of question on port-macppc.
The MI NetBSD lists default to i386 hardware.  ;)

>I'd definately want suspend/resume and other power management controls to
>work ...

There's the rub. Power management is still an issue with i386
notebooks, and all but nonexistant on !i386. When I last tried NetBSD
on a Tibook 550 MHz, after fifteen minutes it became so hot i
couldn't touch it, not to mention the fan noise.

If you need proper power management, you'll probably be better off
with MacOS X. You could still use pkgsrc with that.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik