Subject: Re: Samba memory leak related to a still-open PR?
To: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/26/2006 10:08:53
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Mark Cullen wrote:
> I am experiencing a memory leak of some sorts related to Samba. I strongly
> believe it is related to the the PR [1] which is still 'Open'. I have run the
> included test program from the said PR, and I get the following output:
[snip]
> Is there any plans to fix this? There is a patch included, but it was filed
> for 1.6 by the looks of it. I'm not sure if it'll work with 3.x?
>
> As it stands, Samba is fairly unusable for me because of this, or at least I
> think it's this. I never had the problem on FreeBSD, but that was with Samba
> 3.0.21b, I am now using 3.0.22. I've mailed the Samba lists, but I am sure
> it's related to this bug.

I had a few email exchanges with Jeremy Allison about this back in
October last year, but I think my emails got swamped by all his other
Samba-related mails. :-)

We don't see it at most sites which, at the time, I thought was down to
security = domain vs security = server (and Jeremy suggested there was a
passdb leak too). It was also not clear what triggered it (NetBSD
1.6.2/Samba 3.0.10 was fine, NetBSD 2.0_STABLE/Samba 3.0.14 was not). It
was clear, however, it was a NetBSD-specific problem.

I agree that when you hit this memory leak, Samba is unusable (processes
grow pretty rapidly and start running out of data space and swap). It
would be great if this is the cause of the problem.

Odd that this has not been fixed - is the patch particularly contentious?

--
Stephen