Subject: Samba memory leak related to a still-open PR?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/26/2006 01:57:33
I am experiencing a memory leak of some sorts related to Samba. I
strongly believe it is related to the the PR [1] which is still 'Open'.
I have run the included test program from the said PR, and I get the
following output:

(root@bone)/root# ./telldir-memuse.o
telldir-memuse.o: Used 8192 extra bytes for 250 telldir calls
telldir-memuse.o: Used 12288 extra bytes for 377 telldir calls
telldir-memuse.o: Used 16384 extra bytes for 504 telldir calls
telldir-memuse.o: Used 20480 extra bytes for 631 telldir calls
telldir-memuse.o: Used 24576 extra bytes for 758 telldir calls
telldir-memuse.o: Used 28672 extra bytes for 885 telldir calls
telldir-memuse.o: Failure: leaked 28672 bytes

Is there any plans to fix this? There is a patch included, but it was
filed for 1.6 by the looks of it. I'm not sure if it'll work with 3.x?

As it stands, Samba is fairly unusable for me because of this, or at
least I think it's this. I never had the problem on FreeBSD, but that
was with Samba 3.0.21b, I am now using 3.0.22. I've mailed the Samba
lists, but I am sure it's related to this bug. The memory of the smbd
process increases if I hold down F5 (to refresh) in explorer, in a Samba
share. The memory 'leaked' appears to be more when there are more files
in the share being refreshed.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2004/02/05/0008.html