Subject: Really quick 'cvs update' & build question
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/19/2006 01:58:25
Really really quick one here. Coming from FreeBSD I am more accustomed
to using "cvsup" to update the source tree's, not plain ol' CVS.

I'm running 3.0-RELEASE, and I would like to update to 3.0.1. I have the
3.0-RELEASE source tree, from the downloadable 'set' tarballs. Since
they were sets from 3.0-RELEASE, the tags in the tree are for
3.0-RELEASE, and running a plain `cvs update -Pd` just gets, well,
3.0-RELEASE! So, in order to update the tree to 3.0.1, is it ok to do a
`cvs update -Pd -r netbsd-3-0` , or should I be doing a 'checkout'?

I have actually done the said 'update' command on a test box and it
*seems* to be working fine, but I would really like some clarification
from you experts on whether what I have done is correct or not, before I
go trying it on the box that I actually care about :-)

Also, is this ok for the entire update procedure:

- build.sh kernel=XXXX
- build.sh build
- mv /netbsd /netbsd.old
- cp /usr/src/sys/[...]/netbsd /
- build.sh install=/
- etcupdate
- reboot

 From what I gather from the documentation this should be ok and I am
not missing anything, but again I would just like to quickly make sure.

Thanks in advance,
Mark