Subject: Re: Game Pad Functionality
To: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
From: None <diro@nixsys.bz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/18/2006 10:24:47
Jonathan A. Kollasch writes:

> On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:44:36PM +0000, diro@nixsys.bz wrote:
>> I've got a Microsoft (hey, it was free) SideWinder game pad, which would be
>> great to get to work under NetBSD.
>>
>> Nothing works yet with a couple different configurations. I tried
>> connecting it to the game port on the sound card (Ensoniq CT5880-A) and
>> adding all of the relavant isa joystick entries in the kernel config file.
>> Nothing was detected on boot. The LED light on the game pad is lit, and
>> when the "mode" button is pressed, it toggles on and off.
>>
>> I have a game port to USB adapater and i connected that to the USB card.
>> The device doesn't appear in usbdevs. The LED light on the game pad is lit,
>> and when the "mode" button is pressed, it stays lit unless held.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> I'd guess that this is not a standard joystick, but rather a
> serial interface via the MPU401 (the MIDI UART) in most newer game ports.

dev% dmesg | grep eap
eap0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0: Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 CT5880-A (rev. 0x07)
eap0: interrupting at irq 3
eap0: ac97: SigmaTel STAC9708 codec; 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, SigmaTel 3D
eap0: ac97: ext id 80<SDAC>
audio0 at eap0: full duplex, mmap, independent
eap0: attaching secondary DAC
audio1 at eap0: full duplex, mmap, independent
midi0 at eap0: AudioPCI MIDI UART

I was having a similar difficulty to kern/21322,
(http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2006/04/24/0005.html), so i swapped
out that card with the current one. It works fine, except i can't get any
sound through the rear output. Not sure why.

> Now, why the USB gameport adapter is not even being
> detected as a USB device is odd,  unless it's just
> an adapter cable for a specific model of device.

That's interesting. I'd not thought of that before. It's just an InterAct
USB to Game/MIDI port adapter.

> I've got a gamepad that has both of these properties,
> but the USB adapter is the one that it came with,
> so it appears as a uhidev and uhid.
>
> 	Jonathan Kollasch

=)