Subject: Re: weird flash disk problems
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/16/2006 00:55:53
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

> But that's not the end of the story, and NetBSD may be doing something
> worse.  For fun, I suspended the machine, then tried using the drive.  I'm
> back to the "reset failed" messages.  I don't know if it's significant or
> not, but someplace in the suspend/resume process, the following console
> message appeared:
>
> 	ehci0: BIOS has given up ownership
>
> what does that mean?  Could it be related to my problem?

It could be related, but it's not an error message, just an
informational note. It means that the operating system asked for
control of the EHCI device, the system (via SMI) noticed this and
relinquished control. The error message would be "BIOS refuses to give
up ownership, using force."

The PWR_RESUME powerhook asks for ownership, apparantly because the
BIOS sometimes takes it when the system is powered down and back
up. It's possible that we should explicitly relinquish the device on
powerdown events, but I'm not really sure.

        - Nathan