Subject: Re: weird flash disk problems
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/15/2006 22:19:51
A while ago, I posted this:

> I have a USB flash disk that I've been using for a while.  Recently -- I'm
> not certain when, but I don't think it coincided with a kernel change -- I
> get messages like this:
>
> 	/netbsd: uhub3: port 4 reset failed
>
> when I plug it in to my laptop.  It works just fine when I connect it to
> the USB hub in my monitor.  The obvious suspect, then, is my laptop's USB
> ports.  *However* -- if I plug a cheap, unpowered USB hub into the laptop,
> the hub works; furthermore, I can plug the flash disk into the hub and
> *it* works, too.

It looks like a BIOS glitch, though I think that NetBSD should have
handled it better.

I tried the same flash drive under Windows.  I got a pop-up telling me
that it would work better on a high-speed port.  Huh?  It *is* a
high-speed port.  After not seeing any BIOS options, I reset all of my
options to default.  Suddenly, it worked, under Windows and NetBSD.
Should NetBSD have tried a different initialization strategy, for a
lower-speed USB port?

But that's not the end of the story, and NetBSD may be doing something
worse.  For fun, I suspended the machine, then tried using the drive.  I'm
back to the "reset failed" messages.  I don't know if it's significant or
not, but someplace in the suspend/resume process, the following console
message appeared:

	ehci0: BIOS has given up ownership

what does that mean?  Could it be related to my problem?