Subject: Re: wikipedia article
To: Otto Moerbeek <otto@drijf.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/13/2006 12:02:11
Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

The PDP-7 was/is an 18-bit machine.

> What's more, iirc the MMU of the pdp11 isn't what we call a MMU today,
> it could not even do paging.

You're wrong. You could easily do paging on a PDP-11, if you wanted to.
The main reasons this wasn't done are two.
1) Each page is 8K. At the time, that was considered way too large pages
for a demand page system.
2) The address space is only 64 per process, which means you only have 8
pages. Not only is that perhaps a little little for meaningful paging
(most programs tend to refer to all 8 pages most of the time). The main
memory on a PDP-11 is furthermore 4 meg, so having a lot of processes
full memory space in physical memory at the same time is not a problem.

The PDP-11 MMU is a beatiful MMU. Nothing like the crap Intel spits out. ;-)

	Johnny