Subject: Re: Question on some kernel options, NetBSD 3.0
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/11/2006 19:01:50
>> As for NEW_BUFQ_STATEGY, the comments sound like it would be very
>> beneficial:
>>
>> "Enable experimental buffer queue strategy for better responsiveness
>> under high disk I/O load. Likely stable but not yet the default."
>>
>> I am noticing some pretty severe slow-down's when I, for instance, untar
>> pkgsrc. It was really quite bad actually, while it was doing it I did a
>> `ps ax`, which took around 30 seconds (possibly more) to return and
>> print to the console! If it makes any difference, I am using UFS2 and
>> softdep.
>
> Yup, I too am curious on the NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY option. Like Mark, I
> had some pretty server slow-downs during high disk loads ...... while
> untar-ing pkgsrc, or moving large directories from one place to
> another, etc ......
>
> Thanks,
> Rakhesh

Hi!

I have a similar sluggish I/O performance on untarring files. However, not
directly related to NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY, just using generic kernel tracking
3-current. One unique variable on my setup is the use of the new ciss
driver.

Anybody on this list using ciss? Details of my experience can be
referenced here:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2006/05/18/0001.html

Joseph