Subject: Re: Question on some kernel options, NetBSD 3.0
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/11/2006 10:39:34
On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 09:15:00AM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> >I am noticing some pretty severe slow-down's when I, for instance, untar
> >pkgsrc. It was really quite bad actually, while it was doing it I did a
> >`ps ax`, which took around 30 seconds (possibly more) to return and
> >print to the console! If it makes any difference, I am using UFS2 and
> >softdep.
>
> Yup, I too am curious on the NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY option. Like Mark, I
> had some pretty server slow-downs during high disk loads ...... while
> untar-ing pkgsrc, or moving large directories from one place to
> another, etc ......

In addition to enabling NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY, you may want to read some about
VM tuning.  Here's a link: http://www.selonen.org/arto/netbsd/vm_tune.html
and there are countless interesting threads about this on the mailing list
archives as well, e.g. this one:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-perform/2005/10/28/0000.html

	Geert