Subject: External optical soundcard
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/10/2006 18:28:19
Hello all,

on my current laptop, there's a built in sound card, with 3.5mm output jack.
However, due to wear & tear the jack had become somewhat iffy, giving noise
on the connection.
The obvious solution seems to be some kind of external sound card, either by
USB or PCMCIA. I would prefer PCMCIA, since I don't like using up too much
USB ports as that would mean lugging around a USB hub (call me lazy ;)).
Preferably I would also like optical output by TOSLink.

So far I have found two things by Creative, a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 NX
(which uses USB) and the SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS (PCMCIA).
Do either of these work on NetBSD?

Are there other (i.e. cheaper) alternatives which work on NetBSD (given
either PCMCIA or USB and TOSLink output requirements).

Thanks in advance,
	--Wouter