Subject: Strange Intel gigabit card behaviour (wm)
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2006 02:47:36
Hi All!

Is there anyone using an IBM R51 laptop? I have notice some error messages
on its NIC, identified as....
wm0 at pci1 dev 1 function 0: Intel i82541GI Mobile 1000BASE-T Ethernet,
rev. 0

1) When the laptop is not connected to any network device say hub, switch
or other LAN card it says:

wm0: MDIC write timed out: phy 1 reg 31
wm0: MDIC write timed out: phy 1 reg

2) With prolonged use, heavy network traffic (http, ssh and ftp transfers)
this one came up:

wm0: discarding oversize frame (len=-4)

This is not the first time I encountered wm stating this error message. On
a Dell Poweredge 2800 also with an integrated Intel gigabit adapter.

wm0 at pci9 dev 7 function 0: Intel i82541GI 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 5

The said machine tracks NetBSD 3 stable:

NetBSD 3.0_STABLE (genericlap) #0: Sun May  7 10:11:52 PHT 2006
        root@dagohoy.ched.gov.ph:/usr/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/genericlap
total memory = 246 MB
avail memory = 236 MB
BIOS32 rev. 0 found at 0xfd760
PCI BIOS rev. 2.1 found at 0xfd8e6

Anyone on the list experiencing the same thing?