Subject: Re: Strange Intel gigabit card behaviour (wm)
To: None <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2006 17:29:43
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 02:47:36 +0800 (PHT), "Joseph A. Dacuma"
<jadacuma@ched.gov.ph> wrote:

> Hi All!
>

> Is there anyone using an IBM R51 laptop? I have notice some error messages
> on its NIC, identified as....
> wm0 at pci1 dev 1 function 0: Intel i82541GI Mobile 1000BASE-T Ethernet,
> rev. 0
>

> 1) When the laptop is not connected to any network device say hub, switch
> or other LAN card it says:
>
> wm0: MDIC write timed out: phy 1 reg 31
> wm0: MDIC write timed out: phy 1 reg

My daughter has an R51 running 3.0; she doesn't recall seeing such
messages.  On my T42, running -current, I'll see

/netbsd: wm0: device timeout (txfree 4095 txsfree 63 txnext 45)

if it's not connected to anything.  I regard the message as a bit annoying
but not really worth doing something about.

> 2) With prolonged use, heavy network traffic (http, ssh and ftp transfers)
> this one came up:
>
> wm0: discarding oversize frame (len=-4)
>
> This is not the first time I encountered wm stating this error message. On
> a Dell Poweredge 2800 also with an integrated Intel gigabit adapter.
>
> wm0 at pci9 dev 7 function 0: Intel i82541GI 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 5

What else is on your network?  That message suggests that some other
device emitted a too-large frame.