Subject: Re: MIDI pins used as GPIO?
To: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/04/2006 19:14:14
On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 08:08:49PM +0200, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
>  *Any* way?  Sure, anything is possible.  People have been using serial
> ports to play audio, after all.
>
>   But you couldn't have picked a worse way of interfacing to the outside
> world (assuming you actually have a choice).  The serial, I mean, "COM"
> ports at least have a couple of pins you can directly control.
>

>  (But for general purpose *input*, on the other hand, the game port might
> actually be a good choice.  The fire buttons are just on/off switches, and
> they can be read directly.)

Yes, I've been playing with that, it's extremely simple and efficient. The
problem is what to do what you want to output something. com and parallel
are not available for stupid reasons.

I wonder if something can be done with the PC speaker pins. Other options
are the PS/2 and USB ports. The floppy disk connector on the motherboard
could also be used. What's the easiest to deal with?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu@netbsd.org