Subject: Re: file systems for large, removable drives?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/27/2006 08:22:14
> I can clearly use FFS, but that's NetBSD-only; I couldn't share the drive
> with a Windows box.  FAT32 is, as I recall, size-limited; certainly,
> Windows won't even format a large partition that way.  NetBSD can't write
> NTFS file systems.  Are there other options?

I checked up a bit on FAT32 btw. FAT32 is size-limited, but only when
it comes to *creating* it on Windows 2000/ XP. The real limit of FAT32
is 2TB, but Windows 2000/ XP doesn't let you create FAT32 partitions
larger than 32GB.
(http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/27253/27253.html)

The trick is to boot with a Windows 98 disk, and then make FAT32
partitions larger than 32MB. Windows 2000/ XP can read partitions
larger than 32GB -- no issues with that.
(http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_on_large_fat32_partitions.htm)

Maybe NetBSD's "newfs_msdos" command can make FAT32 partitions larger
than 32GB? You could try and post your results here perhaps?

NetBSD 3.0 has a limit of 128GB on FAT32 partitions though. That has
been removed for 4.0 and onwards.
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.help/14966)

Hope that helps. Maybe you can go with FAT32 (all OSes seem to have
support for FAT32 anyways) instead of ext2fs or anything else.

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--=20
=09NetBSD/i386 3.0 | Toshiba Satellite L10-102
=09http://man.netbsd.org/ (manpages)
=09http://news.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.general (archives)
=09http://news.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.devel.pkgsrc.user (archives)