Subject: Re: Attaching additional HDD - such simple(?) thing not without problems
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2006 10:16:39
On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 02:54:07AM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 02:23:53AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>
> > Please send us your dmesg.
>
> Below. Of course, it's "normal" dmesg - I cannot send the one after I'll
> attach the second drive, from the reason I wrote about.
>
> > The problematic drive does not have to be attached.
>
> What you mean? I want to copy a files from there...

I mean that the dmesg without the drive is enough.

> piixide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1
> piixide0: Intel 82371AB IDE controller (PIIX4) (rev. 0x01)
> piixide0: bus-master DMA support present
> piixide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
> piixide0: primary channel ignored (disabled)
> piixide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
> piixide0: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
> atabus0 at piixide0 channel 1

> hptide0 at pci0 dev 19 function 0
> hptide0: Triones/Highpoint HPT370 IDE Controller
> hptide0: bus-master DMA support present
> hptide0: primary channel wired to native-PCI mode
> hptide0: using irq 10 for native-PCI interrupt
> atabus1 at hptide0 channel 0
> hptide0: secondary channel wired to native-PCI mode
> atabus2 at hptide0 channel 1

So, you have several ATA busses (channels). And the hptide ones have
higher numbers, so all devices on them will have higher numbers.

Add a line
atabus0 at hptide0 channel 0

to your kernel config file and recompile. This should work and should be
enough.

Pavel