Subject: Re: Using a different compiler
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Stuart Brooks <stuartb@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2006 09:34:27
> >I would like to be able to use a different compiler to build and run
> >some of my own applications on Netbsd 1.6.1. The native compiler is
gcc
> >2.95.3 and I would like to use gcc 3.3.x (because of exception
handling
> >problems in 2.95). What concerns me is shared library compatibility -
> >especially X, QT, GL etc - since I know that the C++ ABI differs
between
> >those 2 gcc releases.
> >
> >Does anyone know of any documentation which might cover this, and if
> >anyone has tried something like this I would appreciate any hints or
> >advice,
>
> You'll probably need to recompile/re-install all the c++ shared
libraries.

Thanks for the reply. Does that mean that any "straight" C libraries
should be fine? At the time of writing I had rebuilt QT, and things
worked nominally although I have core dumps when I hit GL/GLU code
(presumably these are C++ libraries). I would expect the X libraries to
be C? but is there any trick to knowing which are C and which are C++?

Many thanks,
 Stuart