Subject: Re: Attaching additional HDD - such simple(?) thing not without problems
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/23/2006 19:57:30
On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 01:50:16AM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:

> Before the new disk installed, my main HDD is seen as "wd0". After I connect
> that new one, while booting I can see, that my main HDD has been turned into
> "wd1" - and "wd0" is that new one. That makes the problem.

So, it's hard to understand why this is so upsetting to you, when one
considers that it would require a 10-second edit to /etc/fstab to fix.

If you really want to force the drive on the HPT IDE controller to be
wd0, whether there is another drive present or not, it is also trivial
to build a kernel that will number it that way.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart