Subject: Printing via ghostscript and hpijs
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/19/2006 08:41:41
Hello,

With kind help I am able to print text to an HP DeskJet 540
(monochrome, not the 540c).  This is great because most of
what I print will be plain text.  Occasionally it would be
useful for me to be able to print graphics. I have installed
print/ghostscript-gnu and print/hpijs and attempted to set
them up based on clues in the Guide, but when I try to print
a PostScript document I receive a single blank sheet with
"**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting." printed
at the top.

The ghostscript people that I have asked about this don't
recognise the error.  I would welcome advice, observations
or perhaps example filter scripts.  Does anyone here use
hpijs or a similar DeskJet printer?

- Andy Ball.