Subject: group perms
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/17/2006 11:53:09
This is not something I tend to do a lot of, which is why I'm scratching
my head here ...

I have the situation where I have created a group of users in /etc/group
and want them to all be able to read/write/destroy each others' files in
the directory set aside for them.

I seem to recall that some flavours of Un*x allow permissions to be
set on a directory in such a way that group rights are inherited by
files created by other members of a group in that directory, but I can't
remember the magic to get that working ... any ideas?

For some reason I am thinking that the sticky bit might be the key, but
if I add it to the directory, nothing appears to happen - reading up on
it seems to indicate that it just prevents others from deleting a file
if set, which is nothing like what I'm after ...

I've previously been fudging this by using samba to force a particular
share to be treated as a particular user, but that doesn't work for me
any more as our situation has changed ... so far my only ideas are a
regular chmod -R on the affected directory which seems like too much of
a hack to me ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank