Subject: Re: HP PA718A USB to serial
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/09/2006 16:52:20
--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 12:41:18PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hi again,
> has anyone got experiences with the HP USB to serial adapter ref. PA718A ?

Hmm, that part number sounds like a machine that might be supported by
NetBSD/hp700 :P

> It's the cheapest adapter I have in the local store, but I couldn't
> test it ...

As noted by uftdi(4) and various websites, HP has made a FTDI-based
converter, however AFAICT that is probably P/N 5184-2238 model MT608-2.

I was only able to find one page when I searched Google for "PA718A FTDI".
Not reassuring.

The photo of the PA718A at http://www.hp.ca/catalog/accessories/accessoryDetail.php?id=2&accid=52534&lang=EN
looks much like the MT608-2 pictured at http://www.cooldrives.com/hpusbtosedb9.html.

Looking at
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11948_div/11948_div.HTML
seems to suggest that this particular model may be part of a series of
part numbers specific to the models of machines it came with. Note the
function of the PA716A.

I'd be willing to bet the PA718A is a uftdi(4).

	Jonathan Kollasch

--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl

--+g7M9IMkV8truYOl--