Subject: Re: hardware advise ( Samba file server )
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/05/2006 07:22:03
Apologies for the delayed response...........

Thanks for all the info.

I will have two disks in the machine, one for the OS and Samba and a
second for backup. I'm not an raid expert when it comes to NetBSD (
I've never tried it ) plus this machine will be administered via SSH.
I want to keep the configuration as simple ( for me ) as possible
because I can not make a site visit. I plan on syncing disk1 and disk2
on maybe an hourly basis, this will still provide some insurance
against file loss. In addition no one from the Windows machines can
access the second disk, this should also help provide more insurance,
say against viruses. I will also be running clamav but not X.

I'm still not convinced SCSI drives are the way to go if the
bottleneck is in the network connection. It would seem that a pair of
WD Raptors would get the job done just as well provided you have
enough processor power, but I'm far from an expert on the subject.

I've used NetBSD now for about two years and I'm very comfortable with
it. It's the only OS I use now. *grin*

thanks again for all the responses
--
 _
( ) Mark Thomas     ASCII ribbon campaign